Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9-3-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose football first home game is this Saturday as they host Brevard… The other home games are against Charlotte, VMI, Point University, Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb…. Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
Local sports: School was out yesterday so nothing I could find to report here.
- Big South Players of the Week: Gardner Webb running back Juanne Blount was name Offensive Player of the Week, Charleston Southern linebacker Calvin Bryant was named Defensive Player of the Week and Coastal Carolina’s Samson Baldwin Freshman of the Week… Coastal’s LaDarius Hawthorne a Ware Shoals native was also named Special Teams Player of the Week… He had a blocked field goal against SC State that lead to a TD in Coastal’s comeback win over the Bull Dogs.
- Gardner-Webb – Kenny Cook: Gardner-Webb’s Kenny Cook was honored Monday as an honorable mention selection for FCS Receiver of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards (CFPA)… Cook (Cross Hill, S.C. / Clinton HS) hauled in a career-high nine passes in Gardner-Webb’s 28-21 win over Furman, with those catches going for 113 yards and two touchdowns. Cook’s five-yard diving catch in the end zone with 9:49 to play proved to be the game winner
Braves: The Braves hosted Miami Marlins over the weekend so let’s see how they did:
- Friday: Braves 2 – Marlins 1… The Braves scored 2 runs in the 1st inning then held on to take a 2-1 win… Freddie Freeman was responsible in large part for those 2 runs as he had a 2 run homer scoring Elliot Johnson.
- Saturday: Braves 5 – Marlins 4 (11)… BJ Upton led the Braves with 4 hits on the night including a game-tying homer and getting the winning RBI on a walk-off single in the 11th inning.
- Sunday: Marlins 7 – Braves 0… The Braves found the broom closet locked Sunday as the Marlins prevented the Braves sweep by taking a 7-0 win… Braves could not get the key hits when runners were scoring position…
- Monday: Braves 13 – Mets 5… The Braves started a 3-game series with the Mets yesterday and they got back on the winning track as they posted a 13-5 win at Turner Field… After being shut out for just the second time since June 22 in Sunday’s loss to the Marlins, the Braves erupted for 17 hits. Freddie Freeman matched a career high with five RBIs to bring his team-leading season total to 93 as he belted a 3-run homer and added a 2-RBI double…. B.J. Upton continued his Labor Day weekend hot streak with a pair of doubles and two runs scored… Jordan Schafer also went 4-5 for the Bravos…. The series continues tonight in Atlanta.
Greenville Drive: Let’s do some catching up on the Greenville Drive and make a final report as they closed out their season yesterday.
- The Drive closed out their season in Savannah with the Sand Gnats with a 4 game regularly schedules series plus two more games that were rained out a few weeks ago…. On Friday the Gnats won both games of a doubleheader by scores of 5-4 and 5-2… They played another doubleheader on Saturday and again the Sand Gnats took both games by scores of 4-2 and 6-4… Sunday they played a single game and the Drive won it 2-1… In the season final yesterday, the Drive made it 2 straight as they scored a single run in the 2nd inning and made it stand up for a 1-0 win
- The Drive finish 2nd half of the season with a 29-40 record. This combined with a 22-47 record in the first half of the season gave them a 51-87 record on the season.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Volleyball host Newberry 5:00/6:30
- CC at Woodruff 5:00
- Girls Golf host Mann & Chapman (Lakeside) 4:30
- Girls Tennis host TL Hannah (City Courts) 5:00
- Volleyball at Woodruff 5:30
- Volleyball at Winnsboro MS & Var. 5:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the Newberry Bulldogs… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tonight for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the upcoming football season… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last meeting are now available at the WLBG website… Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club videos, 8-30-13
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at email@example.com
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
FYI / Community Interest:
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555 : FALL 2013 – CLINTON YMCA SOCCER REGISTRATION
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.