Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9-6-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well the home opener for PC football is tomorrow as they host Brevard… Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00pm and it is not too late to get you tickets… A family of 4 can take in the game, have a hot dog or two and enjoy all the pregame festivities for less than $50… Can’t beat that for quality family entertainment.
- JV: Newberry 24 – Clinton 18 in 2 OT… In JV action down in Newberry last night, the Bulldogs took a 24-18 win over the Red Devils in 2 overtimes… Newberry scored on opening drive and lead 6-0. Clinton returned the favor by scoring on its first possession with Vee Thompson adding the two point conversion and Clinton lead 8-6… In the second period, Newberry had a bad snap on a punt that resulted in a safety and Clinton jumped out to a 10-6 lead… Newberry scored late in the first half on a run to take 12-10 lead at the half… The score remained that way until the 4th quarter when Newberry got a short field on a blocked punt and scored with 5 minutes remaining. The two point conversion was no good and Newberry lead 18-10… Clinton drove the ball down the field converting several fourth downs along the way before Vee Thompson scored from 10 yards out with about two minutes remaining in the game… Thompson also ran in the two point conversion to tie the game at 18 all. Heading into overtime Newberry got the ball first and failed to score on 4 plays. Clinton got the ball and was stopped inches away from the goal line on 4th down and that sent the game to a second OT.. Clinton was unable to score in the second OT and turned the ball over to Newberry where it took them 4 plays to score on a 4th and goal when the quarterback dropped the snap and picked it up and ran it in for the score to make the final 24-18… The Red Devils will host the Laurens Raiders next Thursday at 6:30.
- 9th Grade: Spartanburg 39-Laurens 34… In 9th grade action at KC Hannah Stadium last night, the Vikings of Spartanburg took a 39-34 win over the Raiders in a game that went back and forth all night.. Spartanburg scored 1st about halfway through the first quarter and went up 7-0… The Raiders responded going 50 yards on 7 plays with the score coming on a 31 yard pass from Josh McGowan to Brayln McBeth… The 2-point attempt failed so the score remained 7-6 Vikings… Spartanburg scored on their next possession after driving 67 yards to make the score 13-6 after their Pat attempt failed… After they recovered an on-side kick, they went 38 yard to make it 19-6 Spartanburg with PAT attempt failing… On the first play from scrimmage after the kickoff, DQ Floyd carried the ball 50 yards to the Spartanburg 37 yard line… On the next play, McGowan again connected with McBeth for the TD… The 2-point conversion failed and the score stood 19-12 with 6:25 left in the half… Laurens final score of the first half occurred at the 2:08 mark when McGowan connected with DQ Floyd for a 24 yard scoring strike… Floyd added the 2-pont conversion on a run that made the score 20-19 Laurens at the half… The Raiders were the first to score in the second half as DQ Floyd carried the ball in from 10 yards out and then added the 2-point conversion to make it 28-19 with 3:08 remaining in the third period… The Vikings then had two unanswered scores with the last one coming with 1:12 left on the clock in the 3rd period making it 33-28 Spartanburg… Laurens responded on their 2nd play from scrimmage when McGowan hit Floyd in stride down the right side for a 77 yard scoring strike…The PAT came up short so Laurens regained the lead by 1 (34-33) with 9:40 left in the contest… The Vikings regained the lead on their next possession going 62 yard in 12 plays and went up 39-34… The Raiders did not fold as they drove all the way to the Viking 25 yard line and on a 4th down play with 2:40 left in the game attempted to execute a flanker pass back to the quarterback downfield and the just slipped out of the receivers hand giving the ball back to the Vikings who ran the clock out… The 9th grade will have the week of next week.
- JV: Spartanburg 35 – Laurens 23… In the second game, the Vikings took a 35-23 win over the Raiders… Spartanburg took the opening kickoff and drove 80 yards for the first score to go up 7-0… They also scored on their next possession after they blocked a Laurens punt and scored on the next play from scrimmage a 31 yard pass play to go up 14-0 with 4:4 left in the 1st period… On Spartanburg’s next possession, Darius Harvey intercepted a Viking pass and Laurens then drove 76 yards with the score coming on a 12 yard pass from Graydon Hamby to Casey Fox… The PAT failed making it 14-6 Vikings with 9:18 left in the half… The Vikings responded by returning the ensuing kickoff 90 yards for a TD and with the PAT the score stood 21-6… The Raiders did manage to get a 17 yard field goal by Irvin Angeles with 1:04 left in the half to make it 21-9… There was no further scoring until the final period of play… The Vikings scored early in the 4th period to make it 28-9… The Raiders responded by going 80 yards and scoring in 4 plays with the score coming on a 38 yard pass from Toby Jackson to Kiante Boyd with 6:30 showing on the clock… Angeles’ PAT made it 28-16 Vikings… Spartanburg responded and scored on their next possession with 4:28 remaining to make it 35-16… On the kickoff, Chuck Johnson returned it to the 50 yard line and after 2 incomplete passes, Hamby connected with Boyd for the scoring strike with 3:44 left to play… Again the PAT by Angeles was good making the final 35-23 Vikings… The JVs will travel to Clinton next Thursday night to take on the Red Devils in a 6:30 contest.
- Girls Tennis: Laurens 7 – Westside 0… The Lady Raider Tennis Team rebounded from a loss earlier in the week as they took a 7-0 win over Westside last night… For complete details click on the following: 2013 Lady Raider Tennis Results
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity Football host Newberry 7:30
- Varsity Football at Spartanburg (Wofford) 7:30
- Saturday: Volleyball at Hillcrest in a Tournament
- Varsity Football host Wardlaw 7:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the Newberry Bulldogs… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WPCC: Also do not forget that you can catch all the action tomorrow as South Carolina travels to Athens to take on the Bulldogs… I believe they join the network at 3:30 tomorrow with kickoff at 4:30.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to Gibbs Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Spartanburg Vikings… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 98.3 (or 99.5)… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to BHP on Friday night… The cost will be $6.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last meeting are now available at the WLBG website… Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club videos, 8-30-13
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.:
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.